This summer, learn to run a 5K by getting outside and having fun. Girls increase their endurance, learn the importance of proper nutrition, and increase their self-esteem through an interactive game-based curriculum that promotes play and laughter.
POW! Girls Running Team delivers 4 key objectives:
- Outdoor games and play – Train for a 5K, have fun, activate a sense of wonder, and increase motivation through our game-based training.
- Growth Mindset – Encourage a growth mindset with enriching lessons and activities with customized conversation building topics.
- Sense of self and grit – Enrich determination and perseverance while setting and achieving personal goals.
- Mentorship – Junior coaches receive real job experience, practice empathy, and enhance their self-efficacy.
Particpant: 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade (as of the 2019-20 school year)
Junior Coach: 5th – 11th grade (as of the 2019-20 school year)
Girls in 5th – 11th grade (as of the 2019-20 school year) are encouraged to participate as a junior coach. This is an excellent opportunity for her to build a leadership portfolio, gain community service experience, maintain or grow her love of running, and have fun while helping others.
Participants and Junior Coaches will participate in the Gopher to Badger 5K on Saturday, August 8th in Hudson, WI. The cost of the race is included in the POW! registration.
What is included in the registration?
- 16 – 90 minute twice weekly training sessions
- a healthy snack at each session
- a “Today at POW!” (TAP) card at the conclusion of each training session. These cards will help you initiate 2-way conversation with your daughter.
- POW! tech tank top
- POW! program completion certificate
- Gopher to Badger 5K registration (also includes T-shirt and medal)
Dates and Location
Monday and Wednesday
June 15 – August 5 (no practice on Monday, July 6)*
5:00 pm – 6:30 pm
*Gopher to Badger race is Saturday, August 8
Registration (based on grade as of 2019-20 school year)
Grades 2 – 4: $240
Grades 5 – 11: $140
*After you complete the Google Form, you will be redirected to paypal for payment. Please complete separate Google Form for each participant.
Taren Weyer is a certified Health Coach and Youth Fitness Specialist with a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology. She is the community coordinator of two Healthy Kids Running Series locations in Wisconsin and leads two before/after school running programs in River Falls, Wisconsin. She enjoys running marathons and working in her vegetable garden.